The state of Indiana requires any person working in the security sector as an armed security guard to be licensed. This license requires the person to provide the Indiana Public Safety Department with personal information and to attend state certified courses under the state legislative regulations IC 25-30-1-3 Section 3. Detailed in these regulations are the requirements that are demanded by the state of Indiana for an applicant to be issued a license and this includes a yearly refresher course in both security and weapon training to keep the valid license current. It also states licenses will need to be renewed prior to their date of expiration or the armed security guard will be required to complete the full training prior to being issued a license.
In order to be issued a license the applicant must meet all of the required criteria including:
- The applicant for an Indiana armed security guard license will be at least 21 years of age
- The applicant it required to hold a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate
- Proof must be provided of legal citizenship or residency
- There will be an FBI style background check completed
- The applicant will submit to fingerprinting
- Pass drug testing
- The applicant will not have any felony convictions or misdemeanor abuse charges or convictions
- The state certified training courses will be successfully completed
The state of Indiana requires the applicant to attend a state certified training course in the state; licenses will not be issued to armed security guards that have trained in other states.
The training meets the standards of the Indiana Department of Public Safety and will include:
- Legal issues
- Ethics and professionalism
- Emergency medical
- Emergency fire containment
- The legal use of force
- Detainment methods
- Non-lethal force options
- Weapon training to include marksmanship
- Firearm’s safety
- Indiana firearm’s laws
This training will prepare the applicant to work in the security sector as an armed security guard with competence and professionalism. The applicant will be trained in medical emergencies, criminal activity and weapon’s training. The laws surrounding detainment and the use of force will be included in the training to give the applicant sound judgment if faced with criminal activity in their employment.
The training and licensing completed will qualify the Indiana licensed armed security guard to work in many different sectors of the security environment such as:
- Banking and financial institutions
- Schools and colleges
- Public office buildings
- State and federal buildings
- Malls and retail stores
- Armored vehicles
- Public and private lands
- Private security
The armed security guard is able to work in the private sector guarding private properties and other positions. There other employment opportunities in the public sector also that the licensed armed security guard will find within the state of Indiana. It is possible in some types of armed security guard employment that a valid Indiana driver’s license will be required.