The state of Alabama requires a state license for any person seeking employment as an armed security guard. There are certain requirements in the state of Alabama to qualify for an armed security guard license in order to work as an armed guard. This includes training at a state certified training facility for the amount of 8 hours required by the state licensing board. These requirements are:
- Armed security guards must be at least 21 years old.
- Proof that the applicant is a citizen of the United States or a resident alien.
- A state pistol license will be needed when applying
- A written questioner must be filled out, both front and back.
- The required 8 hours of training at a state certified facility must be completed.
- A social security number is requested.
- The applicant must possess a current and valid driver’s license.
- The applicant will submit to a background check.
- The applicant will submit to two sets fingerprints.
- The applicant will have no felony convictions or serious misdemeanor offenses.
- The applicant must be physically fit for the position they are considering.
The armed security guard is required to have a higher amount of training than the unarmed security guard, since they will be armed with a weapon. This due to the fact this applicant will have a greater insurance risk and have more responsibilities. The training that is needed will be done at a state certified facility and a weapons license from the state of Alabama would also be required. The training will include:
Role of a contract Security Guard.
- Legal issue relevant to providing Security Services
- Alabama Use of Force Laws
- Testifying in Court or Other Proceedings
- Weapons training, including target and marksmen training
- Handling crisis situations
- Limited types of arrest
- Detention procedures and Alabama Laws of arrest
- Proper written reports
The training that will be provided at an Alabama state certified facility would prepare the armed security guard to perform duties in many different settings in the security sector. This training will also prepare the applicant to be issued an armed security guard license and a weapons license. Training will include preparing the applicant for medical and fire emergencies, detaining criminal suspects and reporting properly to authorities.
After the applicant secures the armed security guard license, they can be employed in the security sector, in many areas. Armed security guards are trained to work in:
- State and government offices
- Schools and colleges
- Medical facilities
- Banks and financial institutions
- Armored vehicles
- Airports, bus and train stations
- Security for housing and apartment areas
- Private security for individuals
These are some of the areas the Alabama licensed armed security guard will find employment. The license the armed security guard carries and their weapons license will need to be renewed every two years. There will also be requirements to keep the licensing up to date with yearly refresher courses in both security training and weapons qualifications.