The state of Arkansas has requirements that must be met prior to any person being issued an armed security guard license, these requirements are both personal and required training. The training for an armed security guard in the state of Arkansas requires more training than the unarmed guard due to the larger risk, and this includes weapon training. The training and the personal information that is required are designed to license a person that is qualified to be a professional with the ability to carry a firearm. These are the reasons why there is a required background check, fingerprints and a no felony conviction stipulation. The Arkansas Department of Public Safety will issue the armed security guard license, which will be valid for the amount of four years with yearly refresher courses required.
The requirements to apply for the armed security license in Arkansas are:
- The applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- The applicant must possess a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate.
- The appropriate state certified training will be completed.
- A complete background check will be done.
- The applicant will be fingerprinted.
- The applicant will successfully pass drug testing.
- The applicant will provide proof of citizenship or the legal right to work in the United States.
- The applicant will not have any felony convictions on their record.
These requirements will need to be met along with the state certified training and weapons training that is required prior to an Arkansas armed security guard license being issued. The courses are to prepare the applicant to work in the security sector with professionalism.
The training required will include:
- Legal and ethical issues
- Training in medical emergencies
- Professionalism in the work environment
- The legal limits of force in the state of Arkansas
- Weapons training
- Marksmanship and target training
- Non-lethal force
The state certified training is structured to educate the armed security guard, so when working in the security sector the emergencies that can arise are handled properly. This can include medical emergencies, criminal activity and other responsibilities that will be part of the armed security guard’s job description.
There are many employment opportunities that are open to the Arkansas licensed armed security guard. The employment opportunities can be both public and private employment situations, which they have been trained for in the Arkansas state certified courses.
These employment opportunities can include:
- Banks and financial institutions
- State offices
- Federal offices
- Schools and colleges
- Art galleries and museums
- Armored vehicles
- Malls and retail stores
- Private armed security guard services
The Arkansas armed security guard license is issued for an amount of four years. At which time if the person the license is issued to is still working in the security sector the license will need to be renewed prior to the expiration date of the state license. There is also the requirement for a course to be taken each year to keep the current license in good standing