The state of Florida like many other states has certain requirements that must be met prior to working as an unarmed security guard. In order to obtain the unarmed security guard license in this state a specific class must be taken to qualify for the Class D License, which qualifies a person in the state of Florida to work as an unarmed security guard.
The training for an unarmed security guard should also include learning to observe, writing detailed reports, self-defense, and the procedure used to detain suspected violators. Other types of training are also required and are provided within the certified training courses.
The D License requires forty hours of classes in security training and must be taken from a certified facility.
The training provided will include:
- Basic first aid
- Emergency procedures
- Crime and accident prevention
- Fire containment
- Legal liabilities and other issues
In order to obtain the unarmed security guard license the requirements of Florida State Statutes section 493 (ss. 439.6201 through 493.6203) must be met.
- The person must be at least 18 years of age.
- They must have no disqualifying criminal history
- Provide a full set of fingerprints
- They must be legal to work in the United States.
- Sign a personal inquiry waiver to allow the department to conduct necessary background checks.
These are some of the requirements in the statutes section 493, which will need to be satisfied when applying for the unarmed security guard license.
When the unarmed security guard license qualifications have been met the Florida Class D Security license can be applied for and the process will include finger printing, a security guard photo ID and notarization of the license application.
A temporary card will be issued that will permit the applicant to be employed as a licensed unarmed security guard until the permanent unarmed security guard license is received from the state of Florida. This can be between 60 and 90 days when the permanent Class D license is issued.
When submitting the application for the unarmed security guard license information that will need to be provided in order to have the application approved will be:
- The name and address of the school or training facility
- The physical address where training has taken place
- Copies of the training curriculum
- Copies of the final examination
- The school and instructors must use approved criteria for training the unarmed security guard license
- A social security number must be provided
These are the different steps in the process that are needed in order to obtain the Florida unarmed security guard license to gain employment throughout the state of Florida. The courses that are required will have the curriculum to provide training for most types of situations the unarmed security guard will find himself or herself, faced with in the employment sector. This training will prepare the person not only to handle criminal and emergency situations, but also to handle day-to-day situations and paperwork.