The Tennessee armed security guard is required to be licensed and to obtain the state license the applicant must meet certain criteria. The things the armed security guard must have is a license to carry a weapon, they must have training that includes an examination and have had specified training.
The other requirements for licensing are:
- The applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- The applicant must either be a citizen of the United States or a legal resident alien.
- They must have completed the amount of training hours and passed an exam.
- Three fingerprint cards must be submitted, which will be processed by both the TBI and the FBI in doing a criminal background check.
- The applicant must be of good moral character and be legally mentally competent.
- The applicant must not have any disability that would prevent them from performing their duties.
- The applicant must not have been on probation within the last 5 years for any serious crimes or crimes that involved firearms, violence or shoplifting.
- The applicant must not have a record of habitual drunkenness, or have a narcotics addiction or dependency.
The person that applies for an armed security guard license in the state of Tennessee is required to have one hour of training in:
- The legal powers of a security guard
- Education in the general duties of an armed security guard
- Weapons training, including devices that are not lethal
- Emergency training and procedures
There is a Tennessee armed security guard regulation that requires the applicant to complete eight classroom hours for firearms training including:
- The legal limitations for the use of a firearm
- The proper handling of a firearm
- The safety and maintenance of a firearm
The person applying to the state for an armed security guard license is required to attend four hours of training for marksmanship. During this training there must be a minimum of 70% achieved on the silhouette target course.
When the armed guard will carry other types of weapons there are training requirements prior to the license being issued to the applicant. These weapons include stun guns, chemical spray, night sticks, a club and other non-lethal devices. A certificate will be issued after training by a certified trainer, and will be shown to any legal authority when demanded.
The armed security guard license is valid for a two year period, after this if the applicant is still employed as an armed guard the license must be renewed.
The license armed security guard in Tennessee will find employment throughout the security industry, for both private and public duty assignments such as:
- Airports, bus and train stations
- Schools, colleges and universities
- Malls and retail locations
- Government and state offices
- Private office buildings
- Housing and apartment areas