In the state of Virginia, there are requirements to be able to work in the security field; these include being licensed and having firearms training for the armed security guard. The guidelines are outlined in the Private Security Services Code of Virginia; the Department of Criminal Justice Services in the state of Virginia oversees these guidelines and licensing.
The codes pursuant to the armed security guard are included in 9.1-138 through 9.1-150 and include job description, training requirements, along with personal information that will be collected. This personal information will be comprised of fingerprints, age, home address that is verified, tax information and proof of ability to work in the United States. These sections of the code detail the requirements to carry a firearm and the amount of required hours of training.
The applicant for security licensing will be required under the present codes to train at a Virginia certified facility and must apply for their permanent licensing within 90 days of being hired for armed security job.
The holder of a permanent armed security guard license will be required to renew it every two years as long as the holder is providing services in the security sector.
The training provided at the certified training center will include:
- Legal issues
- Crisis management
- Emergency medical service in first aid and CPR
- Detaining criminals
- Alarm system operation
- Report writing
- Fire arms training, marksmanship and target training
The training at a certified facility in the state of Virginia is required by the Department of Criminal Justice Services to train the person to successfully deal with emergency situations, both criminal and civil, which can occur while employed in the security field. This will include firearms training in order to be allowed in the state of Virginia to carry a firearm while on the job.
After training the armed security guard can be employed in security services that include:
- Alarm respondent: This is a security individual that is employed to respond to alarm signals for homes, businesses and properties.
- Employment as an armored car guard
- Government offices
- Power plants
- Personal security guard
These are some of the available types of employment as a licensed armed security personnel. To obtain this license there are requirements that must be fulfilled prior to a security license, being issued in the state of Virginia that will include:
- The person applying for a Virginia armed security guard must be 21 years of age.
- The applicant must be legal to work in the United States
- The applicant must hold either a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate.
- The required amount of hours of certified training completed successfully
- Firearms training completed successfully
- The applicant will submit to finger printing
- There will be an FBI style background check done prior to being issued an armed security license.
The job of the armed security guard in the state of Virginia is an important one in can include employment opportunities in many of the state and government buildings and other important private and non-private buildings or properties.