The state of Arizona requires any person working as an armed security guard in the state to be licensed by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. This license requires the applicant to have training at a state certified training facility, both in security and weapons training. The state also requires other items to be submitted in order to have an application for an Arizona armed security guard license issued.
These requirements are:
- The applicant will be at least 21 years of age.
- The applicant will possess a high school diploma or an equivalency certification.
- The applicant must not have been convicted of any felonies or of misdemeanor domestic violence.
- The applicant will not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces
- A background check will be completed.
- The applicant will submit fingerprints.
- Proof of United States citizenship must be provided.
- The applicant should not have a history or currently have a substance abuse problem.
- The certified armed security guard training must take place in the state of Arizona.
The training that the armed security guard is required to take prior to being issued a license in the state of Arizona will consist of eight hours of security training and sixteen hours of weapons training. When this training is successfully completed and the application is accepted the Arizona Department of Public Safety will issue an armed security guard license for two years and as long as the person is employed as an armed security guard the license must be renewed every two years prior to the expiration.
The training that will be provided at the state certified training center would be:
- Professionalism in the security environment
- Legal issues and ethics
- Limits of force
- Firearm safety
- Non-lethal force options
- Arizona firearms laws
This training is required in order to prepare the armed security guard for any position, they will hold in the security sector, whether public or private. The weapon training that is required is designed to provide the confidence needed when carrying a weapon and to educate the applicant in the laws surrounding the use of firearms in the state of Arizona. Upon completion of the security training and the weapon’s training, and the other requirements are meant the application can be applied for to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
The applicant that fulfills all of the requirements and is issued an Arizona armed security guard license will find employment in many areas of the security sector such as:
- Airports, bus stations, and train stations
- State office buildings
- Federal office buildings
- Museums and art galleries
- Apartment and housing complexes
- Private security
These are some of the employment opportunities that are available to the Arizona armed security guard that has fulfilled the requirements to be issued a license by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. These type of positions will require that a firearm be carried and many of these positions will also require a valid Arizona driver’s license be held by the armed security guard.