California has certain requirements that must be fulfilled prior to issuing an unarmed security guard license in the state of California. These qualifications will include the regulations that are included in Division 3, Chapter 11.5 code section 7583.6. The California unarmed security guard license is overseen by the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services for both armed and unarmed security guards.
The qualifications that are detailed include 40 hours of certified training, the legal right to work in the United States and the applicant must be at least 18 years of age. The other qualifications for the unarmed guard include:
- Fingerprinting to be done prior to applying for an unarmed security guard license
- Submit to an FBI style background check
- Provide valid photo identification
- Provide information for the Internal Revenue Service
- The person applying for the license will not have criminal convictions that include felonies.
- The applicant is required to have a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate
The requirements for training in the security industry as a California unarmed security guard will include 40 hours of training, 16 hours within the first month after being hired for an unarmed security guard position and 16 hours within six months of being hired. These requirements must be met in order to continue being qualified to hold a California issued license for an unarmed security guard.
The guidelines that are in place for the unarmed security guard in the state of California detail the training that is to be provided at a certified training facility and this will include:
- Prevention, observation and reporting
- Correct written reports
- Limitations in the power to arrest
- Restrictions for search and seizure
- Trespass laws
- Ethics, communication and professionalism
- Emergency response
- Medical emergencies including CPR
- Unarmed security officer safety
- Criminal activity and theft
This education is required to prepare the California unarmed security guard to perform professionally in the security sector. The 16 hour training that must be completed within one month, the 16 hour training that must be completed within six months and 16 hours of training each year must be completed in order to keep the license valid while working in the security industry. The California unarmed security license will need to be renewed every two years as long as the applicant is employed as an unarmed guard. When applying for the California unarmed security license to the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services after all of the qualification requirements have been completed satisfactorily the permanent license will be issued within 90 days of employment by the state.
There are many different employment prospects for the license unarmed security personnel that will allow them to utilize the training they were required to take in order to be qualified to work in the security industry.
The employment opportunities for the unarmed security guard in California can include:
- Private businesses
- Retail stores
- Parking structures