The state of Colorado requires anyone working as an armed security guard in their state to apply for and hold a valid Colorado armed security guard license. This permits the armed security guard to work within the state in different fields of employment. The licensing in the state of Colorado is done on a city by city level, rather than a statewide level. This means when applying for an armed security guard license it will be applied for at the City Clerk’s office and the application fee paid at this office. The government rules that regulate the security guard in the state of Colorado is Article V, Chapter 42.
Applying for an armed security guard license means there will be a required background check, fingerprints will be submitted and other information. There will also be the need to apply for a permit to carry a gun.
The application requirements are:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- There will be three letters of reference submitted from non-family members
- The applicant will need a letter of intent; this is a letter from a security company that will hire the person once they have acquired an armed security guard license. This letter will also detail their duties, the date they will be hired and the location.
- There will be proof of a background check submitted with the application; this will be a form that is obtained from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. This form will need to be completed within 30 days of the application submission.
- There will need to be a health certificate submitted within 60 days to show the applicant is free from any health problems that would affect their ability to perform their duties as a security guard. This certificate needs to be obtained from a licensed physician or physician assistant.
- The make, model and license number of any personal vehicle that will be used for work purposes.
- A valid Colorado driver’s license or a valid Colorado State identification card.
- A valid social security card number will be submitted when applying for a Colorado armed security guard license.
In the state of Colorado there are regulations about the weapons a security guard is allowed to carry, this includes a knife with a blade that is less than 3 inches long, a single canister of mace or similar compound. The mace is only permitted to be used in protecting the security guard or another person from injury or harm. It may also be used to prevent the commission of a felony.
The security guard is permitted to carry a night stick on a duty belt, and the night stick must not be longer than 26 inches in length and no more than 1 in diameter. The security guard that carries a nightstick will take and pass an 8 hour training course to be educated how to use the nightstick and the effect it will have when used on another person. The security guard that carries a nightstick will only use it to prevent injury, protect another person or stop the commission of a felony.
Security guards that cause injury during their duty with the use of physical force or cause the injury with any weapon will submit a written report in complete detail of the incident to the Department of Excise and Licenses within 3 days.
The training that an armed security guard has available to them will make the job a stress free environment, because the education received during training will prepare armed security guards to handle different types of situations.
Training will include education in:
- Communication skills
- Crowd control
- Ethics and legal issues
- Emergency situations training
- Health and safety
- Legal use of force
- Detainment of suspects
- Report writing
The armed security guard will also train and be certified to carry a firearm in the state of Colorado. The employment fields that are open to the licensed armed security guard can be both private and public and include places like:
- Airports, bus and train stations
- Schools and colleges
- Malls and other public buildings
- Government offices
- Private offices
- Banks and other financial institutions
- Housing areas and apartment buildings
- Private security for individuals