The armed security guard in the state of Utah will be licensed and also possess a firearms permit to work in the security sector. The Security Personnel Licensing Act Title 58-63-102 (12) outlines the duties the armed security guard will carry out during their employment.
The requirements that will need to be followed include filling the application out properly in order for it to be processed. The person that does not fill out the application completely, accurately or does not supply all the necessary information needed might be denied for their armed security guard license.
The requirements for the successful Utah armed security guard license application are:
- The person applying for an armed guard security license will be at least 18 years of age.
- A high school diploma is required or a GED
- There will be a background check
- Fingerprints will be submitted
- The applicant will pass a drug test
- The applicant will successfully pass security guard training at a state certified facility
- The applicant applying for an armed security guard license will have a firearms license.
The armed security guard is required to be educated at a state certified facility and pass the course that will provide them the skills needed to be employed as an armed guard in the security sector.
The training will consist of education in:
- The legal limits of force
- The legal detainment of suspects
- Emergency training that could include CPR
- Legal and ethical situations that could occur on the job
- Non-lethal force options
- The Utah firearms laws
- Writing clear reports
- Working with other professionals, such as police and fire officials
These are some of the topics that will be taught to the person that attends the state certified facility, and it will also meet the requirement for obtaining the Utah armed security guard license. The trained guard will then be prepared to protect the public and private parties from criminal activity and in emergency situations. They will also be qualified to perform all the duties that are required when employed as an armed security guard.
There are many types of employment available for the licensed armed security guard in Utah; they can include locations such as:
- Bus and train stations
- Financial institutions
- Schools, colleges and universities
- Retail locations and malls
- Private and public areas
- Housing and apartment areas
These are some of the types of locations the licensed armed security guard can be employed and they can also provide personal security for private homes and offices. The armed guard in Utah will be required to hold a valid security guard license the entire time they are employed in the security sector.